How often do you and your spouse/roommates have this conversation:
- What do you want for dinner?
- I dunno, what do you want?
- I dunno...
Every night? Us too. My wife and I have this cheap, go-to chili that is healthy (oil-free, lean turkey, high protein, etc) AND delicious! It also lasts you a good while and just gets tastier. I really can't sing its praises enough. Try it out!
Ingredients (makes 5-6 servings):
- One White Onion
- 2 packages ground, lean turkey (or meatless equivalent)
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes (any kind will do)
- 2 cans black beans (or your favorite type)
- Lots of chili powder
- Some garlic powder
- Some cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cheese and tortilla chips optional but recommended!
- When in doubt, dice an onion. I have no idea why but most recipes start this way but who are we to defy, what I assume to be, thousands of years of tradition.
- Put your pan over medium heat. Resist the urge to add oil. Add your onions to a cast iron skillet (don't have cast iron? Get married.) Move the diced onion around so it doesn't stick until you hear a little hiss. Add 1/4 cup water and stir until water has evaporated.
- Add meat or meat alternative. Cook meat through and add spices. Go crazy on the chili powder. Add way more than you think you need.
- Once all the spices have incorporated, add the diced tomatoes and beans.
- Cook on medium/low for at least 30 minutes or until the chili has begun to thicken.
- Add cheese and chips if you want and enjoy!!
- (Pack the left overs to be the envy of the office tomorrow!)
Elizabeth Terry is a former DC public school teacher with a Masters in Special Education. She works on the Sassy Pants Operations Team and loves TV shows set in Washington, D.C.