So I’m having one of those days where I can’t turn my brain off, the motivation to exercise is nowhere in sight, and all I want to do is shove sugar in my face (sugar is my weakness – maybe for you it’s salty snacks). It’s difficult not to feel terrible about myself and my lack of motivation, but it seems like my body is trying to tell me something... Time to treat myself and practice some self-care!
1. Take a bath: Whether returning from a long run or a day at the office, I find that taking a bath helps me to slow down and remind myself to breathe. I like to add some fragrance to the mix by lighting a candle or adding some essential oils – peppermint or lavender are my favorites. No need to spend tons of money at Lush or something, get DIY-ing and make your own!
2. Bake something: Personally, I love baking. I find it relaxing and generative to put some music on and create something in the kitchen. It’s especially rewarding when I get to bring it to work the next day and brighten other people’s days (plus, then I don't have to worry about being tempted to eat it all!). There are so many things you can make with just a few ingredients! Keep an eye out for easy and fun recipes on this blog!
3. Be creative: Sometimes I just need to let the creative juices flow. I like to find a playlist that I can groove to and get out some paint. Sometimes it’s a canvas and other times it’s just something I have lying around that I decide I’d like to change – furniture, picture frames, flower vases, etc. Don’t like painting, grab a camera or your phone and take some photos!
4. Mindfulness practice: My favorite app for mindfulness is Headspace. This is a quick one. It takes only 10 minutes and on days like this it makes me feel more grounded!
5. Do a puzzle: I have always loved doing puzzles. I find this to be my own form of meditation. Sometimes I put a movie or music on. Other times I just enjoy silence. There are so many options!
6. Read a book: If you are anything like me, you have a long list of books you want to read and have never had the chance. I usually gravitate toward fantasy as an escape from the stresses of the day. I also enjoy combining this with the next thing on this list!
7. Make a cup of tea: It’s calming, easy, and frankly, I should do it every night. I’m always looking for new favorites! If it's hot out, make some iced tea cubes (put chilled tea in an ice cube tray! Tomorrow you'll have the perfect way to not water down your iced tea!) I'd love to know what your favorite tea is when you are trying to relax?
8. Take a walk: This is not always realistic as a woman, but when it is I love how calming it can be. Sometimes I like to take a walk with a friend or two for some quality time. This not only allows you time to catch up, but also makes a walk outside safer! Keep an eye out for some tips on how to be safe when you exercise outside!
9. Borrow someone’s dog: If you are a pet lover, you know that you can’t help but smile when you’re playing with a cuddly animal. I don’t have the living space or time to take care of a dog myself, but I love borrowing dogs! Ideally, this works best when the dog belongs to someone you know, but do what you gotta do!
10. Stretch it out: This one is sometimes a little harder to talk myself into, but once I get started, I love it. Yoga With Adriene is my go to for all things yoga – including gentle stretching practices. Her YouTube channel offers a variety of options and there is sure to be something there that will make you feel good.
Tell us how you like to treat yourself!
With a zeal for all things baked goods and puzzles, Tamara leads our Wellness Team here at Sassy Pants. She's driven to understand and help people right as they are. She's got a big heart for people (and Lego Batman) and a love of all things science. Just ask her about her thesis on fruit flies!